- The eighth Competa Worlds´ Biggest Coffee Morning event took place on Monday, 03 October, 2022 at Restaurante Siddhartha on the Rock, Competa, and raised a massive amount of more than €2,500.
- A record attendance of 178 people from Cómpeta and all the surrounding villages, including two local mayors, were delighted with homemade cakes and sweets and an attractive raffle with items donated by local businesses.
The Cofee Morning
The eighth Competa Worlds´ Biggest Coffee Morning event took place on Monday, 03 October, 2022 at Restaurante Siddhartha on the Rock, Competa. A record attendance of 178 people from Cómpeta and all the surrounding villages, including two local mayors made everyone joyfully with the obvious success.
At one time, the Head Cake Lady was concerned as cakes were dwindling quickly. Near the end, both cakes and savoury ítems were almost sold out fully. Apologies to any of you who missed out.
As always, the local businesses really got behind the tombola tables, two tables this year, and donated some great prizes. The numbers board was a sell out with 4 amazing donations:
- First prize of a three course dinner for two, with wine from Hotel Finca El Cerrillo was won by Bryn Hackland.
- Judith Sunley won a €50 meal voucher from Casa Paco.
- Gerry The Sweep donated a Chimney Sweep meal and wine tasting menu x 2 from La Plaza, Canillas.
- Marie Hayton correctly guessed the coffee beans in the jar, 895 and received 6 bottles of wine.
The exclusive raffle of a beautiful collage by Jilly Whitbread, “Lazy Daze¨ was won by Liz Salter Ross.
Congratulations to all winners!
The guests enjoyed wandering around the craft stalls: choosing chocolates from Sam, chutneys from Nia, Mosaics from Kay and Shirley, Jewellery from Lizzie and essential oils from Liz plus beautifully crafted items and cards from Debbie, Kathy and Sarah. At the same time, they were entertained by Aki Riihimaki and his guitar.
They also had the opportunity to listen to 4 interesting talks:
- Don Quixote comes to Town by Henry Murphy.
- Healthy Mediterranean Foods by Alejandra Gant.
- Cómpeta and It´s Anglo-Spanish Links by David Goodland, Healthy Mediterranean Foods by Alejandra Gant.
- Inez Leniere López speaking about The Art of setting Priorities.
Many guests praised the speakers and said how much they had enjoyed the talks.
Big thanks to Cindy Jones and her wonderful Cómpeta Volunteer Team, some who were helping for the first time:
Christine Quick, Dawne Thomas, Deborah Haywood, Deborah Matthews, Elaine Greer, Ian Thompson, Jane Pilcher, Jen Cameron, Kevin Deavin, Linda French, Nicki White, Paul Hopkins, Suzanne Peck and of course, my organiser volunteers; Helen Sanderson and Jilll Thompson.
A big thank you is to Alejandra Gant and all the staff at Restaurant Siddhartha on the Rock who were so helpful and accommodating at the wonderful venue. The first coffee morning there and thinking it will not be the last!
The biggest thank you goes to Cómpeta, you are simply AMAZING, thank you for enabling Cindy Jones and her group of dedicated volunteers to raise a massive amount of more than €2,500 (at the time of going to press), and there are still tins to be counted to help Cudeca Cancer Care and MacMillan Cancer Support.
Cindy Jones is a lovely British lady residing in Cómpeta for more than 20 years who has dedicated herself to help the Cudeca Foundation and other charities related to end of life situation and cancer with passion and commitment.
She has become one of the eladers of the welcoming town of Cómpeta and has more than 10 people (locals and residents) as her own Cómpeta Team of Cudeca Volunteers, for which the hospice is very proud of.
Cindy has managed to raise more than €35,000 for Cudeca Foundation since 2015 with the help of her volunteers and the donations of her Cómpeta community.
All in Cudeca appreciate and care for Cindy Jones and her team of volunteers and wish the best for them all and the town of Cómpeta. Thank you for all you do to help us continue caring for so many at the end of life.