Benalmádena, 19th May 2015
Thanks to the Official Sponsorship of the Obra Social “La Caixa” Bank, on Sunday 17th May, the 13th edition of The Cudeca Hospice Walkathon brought together more than 1200 friends, families and Cudeca professionals with the aim of:
- Raising awareness about the Care Work in the Palliative Care of Cudeca Hospice.
- Celebrating together our motto “Although we cannot add days to life, in Cudeca we try to add quality of life to days through our “special kind of caring”.
- Raising funds to continue offering specialised care and attention to more than 900 patients each year with cancer and other advanced or terminal diseases and to provide support for their families.
Thanks to the solidarity and the affection of all the participants, collaborators and around 100 SUPER VOLUNTEERS, we have achieved a gross amount of approximately 30,000€ raised in aid of Cudeca Hospice.
During the event, we enjoyed the company of numerous members of the Benalmadena Town Hall Corporation: The Mayoress, Paloma Garcia: the Sports Councillor, Juan Olea; the Citizen Participation Councillor, Ana Maria Macias; the Health Councillor, Inmaculada Hernandez; the Tourism Councillor Adolfo Fernandez; and the Culture and Education,Councillor; Yolanda Peña. Moreover, from the Solidarity group of PP who initiated the 5kms route off at 11.30; the PSOE party group of Benalmadena, headed by it´s President Victor Navas, who actively participated in the 10kms route that set off at 10.30am.
On this day of solidarity, we enjoyed the Charity live performances of John Hobbs, Mel Williams, Laura Oldfield, “Naima” Belly Dancers Brittinger Ost, “One Wish Steve”, Michael Fuchs Martial Arts Group and the Rociero chorus “Peña Union del Cante”.
Also, all of the people who attended could enjoy a Charity Paella for 600 people carried out by professionals and also by a team of tireless Cudeca volunteers, fun activities organised by Exploramas and a great Charity raffle with superb prizes.
The winners of the prize for the largest group were the Lucia Jimenez family, with 24 participants who received invitations to the Carmen Thyssen Museum, Bioparc Fuengirola, Sea Life Aquarium, Selwo, Butterfly Park, Ice Rick of Benalmadena, Tivoli World, Principia Science Centre, Crocodile Park and the Aqua Park of Mijas.
Also, there were prizes awarded to the winners of the most funds raised:
- The undisputed winners of this edition were Bentle and Kim Gottlieb with an impressive amount of 2167€. They received a 7 night stay in the Algarve courtesy of Diamond Resorts International and a medical check-up valued at 1000€ courtesy of Vithas Xanit International Hospital.
- In second place Chris Knapp with 1325€, won a weekend stay for two people at Hotel Don Carlos.
- In third place, the Soroptimist International Club won with 741€, an appreciative prize of a weekend for two people in Sunset Beach Club.
This event has been possible thanks to the essential support of the Cudeca volunteers together with the main collaboration of the Social work of “La Caixa” bank and the esteemed collaboration of:
Benalmadena Town Hall, Municipal Sports Patronage of Benalmadena, Malaga Deputation, CEDMA, Burger King, Sunset Beach Club Hotel, Exploramás, Helicópteros Sanitarios, Coca Cola, Carrefour Torremolinos, GMG Group, Los Mellizos restaurant, Dumher, EJ Eventos group, Quirón Hospital, Torrequebrada THB Class Hotel, Torrequebrada Mijas Comunication, Vithas Xanit International Hospital, Talk Radio Europe, Sur in English and the Carmen Thyssen Museum, Málaga.
Your help gives Life to their Days!
Thank you everyone!